Great discussion with Professor Simon Chadwick, a highly respected academic in the world of sports, with several books and papers to his name and various successful consulting roles across the world combining academics with the real world. We take a birds eye look at the world of sports, the hottest topics and issues out there, across Simon’s 20+ year career.
- How it all started, growing up living across his local team, Middlesborough – passion passed down by generations
- Premier League paper in mid 90s got the ball rolling, leading to a PhD with his thesis focused on Football Shirt deals in English Football
- How to connect a brand to the heart of the fan through shirt sponsorship discussion
- Working with overseas Master & PhD students to study overseas fan behavior, how do fans in China pick a “favorite club”
- Stories – Ferran Soriano early vision at Barcelona & Manchester United Tour lessons from 2005
- Lessons learned from trips and work IN PLACES INCLUDING THE GULF, China, Russia, - understanding the differences and impact on sports. Teaching around the world from Brazil to Japan TO THE UNITED STATES
- Qatar Supreme Committee for Delivery & Legacy – work with them prior to the World Cup
- Our discussion on “migrant worker” issues and “Sports Washing” history lessons, politics, nation branding, etc
- China – what is happening since Covid – recent Winter Olympics, dropping the AFC Asia Cup (Football) as host (Geo political issues)
- Public sector entrepreneur – writing books looking at Mega trends (Managing Football, Handbook of Sports Marketing, etc. New book “The Geopolitical economy of sports” – coming out this year (Publisher: Routledge)
- Women’s sports discussion, opportunities and challenges
- Esports & Gaming – how countries take advantage of investments in Esports to build new industries, ie. Korea, Saudi Arabia, China
- Sports coming out of Covid – survival of the fittest, concentration of power (industrial concentration)
- Recession talk vs Mega Media deals globally (how to explain it) – polarization
Professor Simon Chadwick is a researcher, writer, academic, consultant, policy advisor, and speaker with more than twenty-five years experience in the global sport industry. His work focuses on the geopolitical economy of sport.
Chadwick is Professor of Sport and Geopolitical Economy at Skema Business School in Paris, where he is also a member of its think tank - Publika - as well as Programme Director of Skema's Global Executive MBA in Sport.
Simon previously co-founded and directed Emlyon Business School's Centre for the Eurasian Sport Industry, the University of London's Birkbeck Sports Business Centre, Coventry University's Centre for the International Business of Sport, and Salford University's Centre for Sport Business.
In addition, he has worked at several of the world's most prestigious business schools, such as IESE in Spain, Otto Beisheim in Germany, Tsinghua in China, COPPEAD in Brazil and Waseda in Japan.
He has written numerous articles, books and research reports for the likes of Forbes, Sloan Management Review, the Wall Street Journal, The Economist, Forbes, Thunderbird International Business Review, Mastercard, Newsweek, Reuters, Time, Routledge and Financial Times Prentice Hall.
Chadwick has consulted for some of the biggest names in sport, such as FC Barcelona, UEFA, Adidas, the Association of Tennis Professionals, Nielsen, the European Clubs Association, Ping, Formula E, Coca Cola, and the Asian Football Confederation.
Simon tweets via @Prof_Chadwick
Some examples of his writing can be found via channels including:
Follow us on our social sites for the latest updates
To get in touch, please email us at email@example.com
Feel Good by MusicbyAden https://soundcloud.com/musicbyaden
Creative Commons — Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported — CC BY-SA 3.0
Free Download / Stream: https://bit.ly/_feel-good
Music promoted by Audio Library https://youtu.be/bvgIqqRStcQ
To leave or reply to comments, please download free Podbean or
To leave or reply to comments,
please download free Podbean App.