Michel Masquelier had an incredible career with IMG over 35 years starting as an Intern and finishing as the Chairman of IMG Media and SNTV. Over that time he had the privilege to work with and learn from the charismatic owners from Mark McCormack, Ted Forstmann to Ari Emanuel at the end. Pioneering a variety of new innovations and setting up new business units over his tenure. Fascinating stories of an amazing career. Also check out Michel’s new book “This is not a Dress Rehearsal” for more.
Link to the book: http://getbook.at/NotADressRehearsal
- Taking a plunge and heading over the channel from Belgium to the UK to seeking new challenges in London
- Reading Mark McCormack’s book and being inspired to seek employment with the company (1985), working for free at the beginning
- First role in sponsorship activation, with Yves St Laurent and later focusing on sales in Benelux countries
- Winter Olympic Games in Albertville, France – advising the Organizing Committee
- Mark McCormack, first interaction – “you the guy who plays golf before coming to the office in the morning” story
- A man of amazing innovation, vision and anticipation
- Setting up the Office in Brussel, at the start of the European Union
- After 10 years, took a six months break and toured the world – NY Office story
- Next stop, Media Division, selling Media rights, involvement in pioneering projects (China Football story)
- Intrapreneur within the company, building teams, leadership style (Love & Respect)
- Head of Sales Europe, Head of Sales Worldwide to President IMG Media
- European Tour Production deal and Mark’s vision and foresight examples
- The shock and worry when Mark suddenly passes away across the organization
- Ted Forstmann era starts – US$ 750 mil purchase – leader in Private Equity
- New focus on “ownership” in sports, becoming a small shareholder in the business
- Ted initially wanting to replace him due to clashes in strategy before new found respect
- Frustrating moments with Ted when it came to Minimum Guarantees for Media Rights
- Next Super-agent Ari Emanuel backed by PE money takes over (US$ 2.4 billion deal) and his drive and vision for the company (WME -IMG leading to Endeavor)
- Moving from President of IMG Media to Chairman of Events/Media, slowly winding down
- Huge growth from UFC deal to recent IPO at US$ 10 billion valuation under Ari’s leadership and future of industry thoughts (data the new gold)
- “This is not a dress rehearsal”, his book about his experiences and journey – coming out in December 2021
- Reminiscing about the parallels of our careers and philosophy in life
About Michel Masquelier
Michel Masquelier is an Entrepreneur that has spent over 3 decades at the heart of the sports industry. Making his way up the ladder from intern to Chairman, he has become a respected leader in his field, and recognized as peoples manager.
He now takes on the role of advisor to governing bodies, media organizations and private equity firms. He is also an active investor, board member and consultant for small enterprise, with a focus on the media industry. Michel is still a compulsive networker, but his passion has shift to stimulating education, especially amongst future generations. In the same spirit of innovation and disruption, he is involved in philanthropic projects, motivational speaking and development of educational programs for young executives.
More recently he has been working on a book - This is not a Dress Rehearsal.
In this part-memoir, part-manifesto and career guide, all inspiration-from-the-heart book, he shares stories from his early life in Belgium to his unique experiences rubbing shoulders with sports stars, business moguls and media pioneers. With open and honest examples of his triumphs, failures, and everything in between, there is something for everyone – the sports fans, the misfits, the motivated and the intrepid.
Follow us on our social sites for the latest updates
To get in touch, please email us at email@example.com
Feel Good by MusicbyAden https://soundcloud.com/musicbyaden
Creative Commons — Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported — CC BY-SA 3.0
Free Download / Stream: https://bit.ly/_feel-good
Music promoted by Audio Library https://youtu.be/bvgIqqRStcQ
To leave or reply to comments, please download free Podbean or
To leave or reply to comments,
please download free Podbean App.